6.6.11

BERNSTEIN CENTURY : DVORAK NEW WORLD SYMPHONY



Dvorák's New World Symphony is one of my favorites and so I decided to try to find the best rendition based upon my personal view of the work. I was looking for a performance which included a particularly emotive Second Movement (Largo) along with an overall tight performance by the orchestra. To facilitate that end, I first garnered recommendations from participants in Amazon's Classical Music forum. The participants there gave me some terrific suggestions and I ended up with eleven CDs of the work. I played all these performances over and over, making copious notes on each, that I might be enabled to review each one here on Amazon.

I gave all these CDs five stars each chiefly because I fancy this particular symphony so much but some performances were clearly superior to others. To winnow these out so that prospective buyers would have some gauge for deciding which they might want to buy, I additionally assigned my own ranking to the respective CDs, rating them here 1 through 11, Number One being the best. Where my personal thoughts on any two symphonies equaled out, I then fell back upon the secondary material found on each the CDs as a tie-breaker, (only one CD featured the 9th Symphony by itself with no additional selections.) Finally, Amazon only permits a total of 10 links per review so you'll have to check the last ones manually. --Patric W. Crabtree "The Old Grottomaster" Listen to samples

No comments: