22.3.10

RHAPSODY ON A THEME OF PAGANINI, OPUS 43 - RUBINSTEIN'S VERSION


I have loved this recording for over 40 years. I own the original vinyl LP. I was thrilled when this became available on CD. I was afraid that some of the richness and velvety tone would be lost in the transition to CD, but it sounds fine. (Almost as good as vinyl.) This is a superb rendition of the Rhapsody. Rubinstein's interpretation is romantic and masculine; the music lives and breathes. Rubinstein's version of de Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain" is lighter, more elegant and exotic. There might be better versions of the de Falla piece out there, but for me, this version of the "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" has never been surpassed. And as I said, the sound on this CD is faithful to the original LP, and while not quite as full and nuanced as the original, it is still fine enough not to distract me when I listen to the CD. I highly recommend this CD.--R. Rubin Listen to samples

No comments: